Water is crucial to the development of any community, and Columbus residents found various sources of water in the area long before the city's official inception in 1828. The city's first official source was Leonard Spring (also known as Garrard Spring) then some three miles outside of Columbus. In 1839, a series of hollowed out pine logs carried water into the city, and faucets were installed at several intersections. People would come with pitchers, buckets, and whatever else would hold water, paying 5 cents a vessel for the privilege. In 1989, a marker identifying the location of the spring and impoundment was placed by CWW on Country Club Road.Click Here
for more information.